Re: Python 2 d-d-a proposal

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 04:27:51 PM Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Heyya d-p,
>
> I'd like to send an email to d-d-a asking that project to consider no
> longer creating new Debian tools in Python 2.
>
> I'd like this to have the endorsement of the team, so, does anyone object to
> me asking people to not write new tools in Python 2 only (prefer
> alternative deps or porting), and only use Python 2 in very special
> curcumstances or for legacy codebases (perhaps a pitch to move to Python
> 3), along with a note that we plan to deprecate Python 2 when upstream
> support is gone (2020), which puts us on track for two cycles (Buster)
>

> I'll make note of a team which should exist to help with such porting,
> (I'm up to help with this) that was one of the items that came out of
> the PyCon chit-chat. I got the sense from the room that this would be
> OK, but just checking if anyone here has a substantive objection.
>
> If not, I'll send that out later on today/tomorow.

I think that's great.

You might also ask Debian teams using Python in the Debian infrastructure to
review their packaged dependencies and identify any that aren't available for
Python3.  We'll need to know that soon so we can work on porting
dependencies/finding alternatives.  I think we should have as a goal for
Stretch (that's the next one, right?) to have all the packages in place needed
to run python using Debian infrastructure on Python3.  That'll leave some time
then 'just' to port the Debian specific stuff.

If we want to not have to support Python2 when Buster releases, that means
that the infrastructure will already have to be able to run on Stretch
(assuming again I got the code names right).

Scott K