Re: Upstream source merge only when building Debian source (was: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout)

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:05:06AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> writes:
> > All present felt strongly that we should always use pristine upstream
> > tarballs as released by upstreams, with pristine-tar.
>
> I'm glad of the former. I don't use ‘pristine-tar’, though.
>
> I use the “merge when building the source package” workflow, where the
> upstream source is a tarball outside the working tree, not part of the
> Debian packaging VCS at all.
>
> See ‘git-buildpackage(1)’, the ‘--git-overlay’ option.
>
> Is that still a wholly compatible workflow with what is being proposed?

I have this workflow as well, and this would even work really well with
our current svn repos, but folks in the room at DebConf and at our
hangout today disagreed it was good. The universal disbelief about this
approach leads me to think I'm in the minority and have kinda just went
along with the flow.

Cheers,
    Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87