Upstream source merge only when building Debian source (was: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout)

Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> writes:

> SVN => GIT
> ----------
>         "We should just do it!"

+1

[…]

> All present felt strongly that we should always use pristine upstream
> tarballs as released by upstreams, with pristine-tar.

I'm glad of the former. I don't use ‘pristine-tar’, though.

I use the “merge when building the source package” workflow, where the
upstream source is a tarball outside the working tree, not part of the
Debian packaging VCS at all.

See ‘git-buildpackage(1)’, the ‘--git-overlay’ option.

Is that still a wholly compatible workflow with what is being proposed?

--
 \     “Admiration, n. Our polite recognition of another's resemblance |
  `\    to ourselves.” —Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_, 1906 |