Re: PyCon BoF: Stretch goals for cPython, PyPy & CFFI

On 04/13/2015 11:07 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 4:17 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Matthias and I are planning to have a Debian Python BoF at PyCon,
>> tomorrow afternoon. I think lunch is 2pm, so 3pm?
>>
>> Meet outside the cPython sprint room?
>>
>> Matthias wants to discuss general stretch goals for Python in Debian.
>> I want to make concrete plans for py3k packages that are compatible with
>> multiple interpreters.
>>

> Does this mean PyPy too? It’d be great to have a (not just specific to Debian)
> standard for how to mark a binary for a particular Python that gracefully handles
> other interpreters too. Right now we have the de facto standard of binary, binaryX,
> and binaryX.Y but that really only sanely handles CPython.

can we do that in a separate session?  I'm not keen on introducing another
hierarchy like /usr/lib/pypy2/dist-packages, and a hierarchy of pypy-* and
pypy3-* packages.  This is an issue for dependency tracking (for Debian
packages), and multiarch able packages.  I feel that deserves some more
preparation, and time.

Matthias