Re: recommended numpy dependency ranges?

On 31.03.2014 17:08, Diane Trout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small package the depends on numpy and it recently stopped working.
>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/lib/R/site-
> library/DEXSeq/python_scripts/dexseq_prepare_annotation.py",
>> line 33, in <module>
>>     import HTSeq
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/HTSeq/__init__.py", line 9,
>> in <module>
>>     from _HTSeq import *
>>   File "numpy.pxd", line 155, in init HTSeq._HTSeq (src/_HTSeq.c:33074)
>> ValueError: numpy.dtype has the wrong size, try recompiling
>

> I'm pretty sure a recompile will fix it, the question I have is how often does
> numpy break binary compatibility?
>
> Should set your numpy dependencies to something like:
>
> python-numpy (>= 1.8, < 1.9)

numpy doesn't break compatibility often on purpose, the goal is never as
its a major pain for windows users.
The last accidental break was in 1.6 which we solved by just recompiling
the rdepends.

Are you sure you are not picking up something from /usr/local?
import HTSeq works for me in unstable.