Re: pbs python

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 04:20:42PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > *If* I wanted to get the following package into Debian:
> > https://oss.trac.surfsara.nl/pbs_python
> >
> > What should I do?
>
> First step: submit a Request For Package bug report against the special
> “wnpp” package <URL:https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/>. It is highly
> recommended to di this with the ‘reportbug’ tool::
>
>     $ reportbug --mua mutt --severity wishlist wnpp
>
> because it will prompt you for what kind of WNPP bug report this is
> (answer: RFP), and then present a template for you to provide
> information about the prospective package.
Note that Brian is also a DD and maintainer of various packages. He should be
aware of the process. :)
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=bam

> > It seems to clash with a package of the same name
> There are means of dealing with this: using a more specific name for the
> source package, renaming the resulting binary package and library, etc.
>
> But this is best done after submitting the RFP bug report and finding an
> interested Debian maintainer for the package.
Even if the source and binary packages were renamed, this would result
in packages that are unrelated and can not be installed together
(what would "import pbs" do?)

Ideally, one or more of the upstreams should be renamed. Have you
checked if they are open to this?

Cheers,

Jelmer