Re: ‘dh’ invoking Python 2 ‘pyversions’ in a Python 3-only package

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
>> On Sunday, March 30, 2014 17:01:05 Ben Finney wrote:
>> > How can I inform Debhelper that it should not attempt to find any
>> > Python 2 versions for building or cleaning this package?
>>
>> Using pybuild should do it.
>>
>> dh $@ --with python3 --buildsystem=pybuild
>>
>> That will avoid the assumption that python2 should be attempted.
>
> Thank you, that works. Should I report a bug against some package
> (which?) for the default behaviour?

By default, if debhelper sees a setup.py file, it sets the buildsystem
to python_distutils, which *only* supports Python 2.

It is difficult to change such behavior because (a) python_distutils
buildsystem is part of Debhelper itself, while pybuild isn't (it is
even written in a different language) and (b) this will probably break
some packages.

--
Dmitry Shachnev