Re: Python 3.4 and ensurepip (rehashed, long)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 01:23:53PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Barry Warsaw, 2014-03-19]
> > TL;DR: Let's re-enable the ensurepip module in Python 3.4, and possibly
> >    address some usability issues.  We should descend en masse on Montreal and
> >    stage a revolt at Pycon. :)
>
> IMO our ensurepip.py should look similar to this:
>
> | try:
> |     from pip import *
> | except ImportError:
> |     raise Exception('Please ask administrator to install python3-pip package.'
> |                     ' Note that installing packages system-wide using pip is'
> |                     ' considered harmful, please do not report Python related'
> |                     ' bugs in Debian bugtracker if you decide to do that.')
>
> IMO we should warn users that they can^W will break their systems and
> `sudo pip install ...` should raise an exception if
> --i-will-not-blame-debian option is not enabled.

I recently had to clean up after a sysadmin, previously explicitly
warned not to, used "sudo pip install ...". I think the option should
require an argument which must match with a randomly generated string.
That way only the NSA could ever actually use the option as only they
own all the random numbers.

</sarcasim>

--
Brian Sutherland