Re: Python 3.4 and ensurepip (rehashed, long)

On 26 March 2014 17:15, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 15:29:06 Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Mar 25, 2014, at 03:19 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> >I assume once someone has installed pip with apt-get they'd still be able
>> >to run pip install --upgrade pip if they wanted too?
>>
>> I would think they should be able to do that.
>
> If I've install a package and it's upgraded (this is for the system, not for
> any kind of virtualized/isolated environment), I would find it quite surprising
> and unfortunate that it upgraded itself from an external source.

I'd be very surprised if a package manager told to upgrade itself used
a different source for its own code vs things it manages.

Yes, people that use pip to install things globally deserve to keep
both pieces, but either prohibit it entirely, or have it work as
advertised, not some frankenstein.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins@hp.com>