Re: Python 3.4 and ensurepip (rehashed, long)

On Mar 21, 2014, at 02:43 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Also yea pip in the system Python currently kind of sucks. I want to make this
>better eventually! I just don't know how yet or have the cycles to spend
>investigating it.

One of the things I'd like to see, in addition to supporting
platform-specified system-level installation directories
(i.e. /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages on Debian), is an upstream switch
to tell Python to ignore this directory, mirroring e.g. -s.  That way, if
people say "Well I just pip installed foo into /usr/local and it broke my
system" we'd be able to respond "you better use pythonX.Y --dont-blame-us".

This is especially important for system services written in Python, and it's
analogous to how we recommend using -Es on the shebang line for many of these
services.

Or put another way: it's okay if users need extra stuff that the OS doesn't
package, and it's okay if they want to install them in such a way that all
users will benefit from them, but the OS must have a way to isolate its
environment from these user choices.

Cheers,
-Barry