Re: Keeping upstream commits separate from Debian packaging commits

On Oct 12, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Tristan Seligmann wrote:

>I wasn't at Debconf, maybe this is why I'm a bit confused by what you
>wrote here. pristine-tar and upstream VCS merge are in no way mutually
>exclusive, but you seem to be implying that they are

Maybe not mutually exclusive, but what's the point?  I certainly would not
base the Debian packaging on anything but the upstream tarball, and most git
workflows provide those as an unpacked upstream source branch.  Does upstream
vcs add value?  I can perhaps see it might help when importing patches, but
it's almost always (IME) to find other ways to generate the patch.  For
example, you can always clone upstream into a different directory, or pull the
patch from the code hosting site.

In any case, if upstream vcs is included in the team git repo, then I think
it's incumbent on maintainers of those packages to document that in
README.source (both how it's done and *why*) and to ensure that notifications
of upstream commits are suppressed to team mailing list and IRC.

Cheers,
-Barry