What is the most idiomatic way in Debian to modify defaults in setup.py ?

Hello everybody,

to enable dynamic linking to a C library in a python module (instead of static
linking), an upstream author proposes me to either implement an option in
setup.py or to make it query an environment variable.

With the goal of using the most standard packaging tools, can you recommend
me one or the other solution ?

Also, to discover the include path, can I recommend upstream to use the
pkg-config file of the library, or is there a better solution ?

The module is python-pysam, to name it.

Thanks for your help, and have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,