Re: Playing with git-dpm

Hi Barry,

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> * The egg-info directory is a PITA.
>
> The upstream tarball has a lazr.smtptest.egg-info directory.  debuild -S blows
> this away, and then git thinks I want to delete it.  It doesn't get staged, so
> it's easy to `git checkout -- lazr.smtptest.egg-info`[3], but it gets annoying
> *very* quickly after just a few debuilds.  I'm not sure what the best way to
> handle this is, if there is one.

You can commit the removal, but it will regularly cause merge conflicts.

Or you can build the package in another directory, like svn-buildpackage
does. I'm not sure if git-dpm has something for this but you can
probably use "git-buildpackage --git-export-dir=../build-area/" in
combination with git-dpm.

> * debian/patches/* get named automatically
>
> `git-dpm checkout-patched` creates a temporary patch branch.  I had to patch
> the setup.py, so I just edited it as normal.  Note though that you *must*
> commit this file while on the patch branch or it doesn't get quilt-ified, but
> it will still show up as modified on your packaging branch if you switch to
> it.  Oh, and the first line of your commit message gets turned into patch
> name.  I like that it handles quilt-ifying the patch automatically when you
> `git-dpm update-patches` but watch out with your commit messages or you may be
> left with a patch file that has an odd name.  I didn't try to change that and
> see if git-dpm could still grok the patch.

I believe that git-dpm can handle any quilt series as input but it will
always rename it based on the commit after a "checkout-patched".

> * Where to push the repo?
>
> I'm not sure that we have a definitive path on git.debian.org for team
> maintained packages under git, but there is a python-modules directory
> containing a few packages.  So I pushed my branches to
> git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/python-modules/packages/lazr.smtptest.git
>
> It takes a bit of work to create this directory initially, but I found that
> gbp has a nice command you can corrupt <wink> into doing the right thing for
> you, e.g.:

Please do something like this to create new git repositories for
python-modules:
$ ssh git.debian.org
$ cd /git/python-modules
$ ./setup-repository lazr.smtptest "lazr.smtptest packaging"
$ exit

It will setup some default hooks to to forward the commit notices where
appropriate.

(I just did the required configuration for you.)

> Oddly, I don't see the repo here: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/ but I have
> no idea why.

It's there now. The repository listing is not updated in real time (too
much I/O involved).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/