Re: Help needed to test packages with Django 1.7

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014, Brian May wrote:
> On 23 July 2014 15:58, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>
> > You are expected to do all database migrations with Django 1.6, then
> > upgrade to Django 1.7
> >

> Some more thoughts.
>
> Are there any packages in Debian that attempt to automatically do database
> migrations on upgrade?

I don't think so. The few packages with south migrations were not
concerned in the wheezy->jessie upgrade.

> virtualenv --system-site-packages ~/old_django
> . ~/old_django/bin/activate
> pip install django==1.6.5
> pip install django-south
> django-admin --settings=??? migrate --all
> touch /etc/xyz/south_migrations_complete
> deactivate
> rm -rf ~/old_django
>
> Don't particularly like using --system-site-packages, think it will be
> required to find the application however. Hopefully it will still get the
> correct version of Django in this case.

Can you test something like this? I would like to document something like
this in NEWS.Debian of python-django so that admins are not left in the
cold for their own django apps.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/