Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

On Jun 06, 2014, at 02:39 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>In summary, I propose the following binary packages:
>
>python3-virtualenv:
>    NEW package
>    contains the Python 3 importable virtualenv module.
>
>python-virtualenv:
>    contains the Python 2 importable virtualenv module.
>    (needed only until tox is transitioned to Python 3)
>
>virtualenv:
>    NEW package
>    contains /usr/bin/virtualenv and the manpage
>    Depends: python3-virtualenv
>    Replaces: python-virtualenv (<< 1.6.1)
>
>virtualenvwrapper, dh-virtualenv, and python-tox will have to have their
>Depends updated.  I'll file bugs on the former two and fix the latter.

All of this is now done.  Bugs #751191, #751192, and #751193 describe the
necessary changes, and the package reorganization for python-virtualenv awaits
clearing NEW.

I've tested this all locally, including updates, but as the packaging changes
are large, there's undoubtedly room for error.  Please test and file bugs as
appropriate.  It's satisfying to know though that most of the accommodations
for a policy-compliant solution to the pyvenv problem translated almost
directly to python-virtualenv.

Cheers,
-Barry