Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

I have virtualenv working now, so I want to readdress the *real* question I
had.

On May 29, 2014, at 07:54 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>This means however that I need to rejigger the binary packages in the
>python-virtualenv source package.  Right now, python-virtualenv contains both
>the modules and /usr/bin/virtualenv.  I need to at least add a
>python3-virtualenv package to contain the Python 3 modules.  But it doesn't
>make sense to have a /usr/bin/virtualenv with both a Python 2 and Python 3
>shebang line, and thus it doesn't make sense to put Python 3
>/usr/bin/virtualenv in the python-virtualenv binary package.  However, I still
>want to make it obvious and easy which package someone needs to install to get
>the command line script.
>
>My thinking is that I would add a `virtualenv` binary package which would
>contain just the /usr/bin script (with a Python3 shebang) and any other common
>files as makes sense (e.g. the manpage).  `virtualenv` would Replaces/Breaks
>`python-virtualenv` and Depends on python3-virtualenv.

I want to make this change.  tox must import the Python 3 version of
virtualenv, so policy dictates a python3-virtualenv for that module.  To me,
it makes no sense to have a /usr/bin/virtualenv in both python-virtualenv and
python3-virtualenv so I want to move the script to a separate binary package.
It would be confusing to have a python-virtualenv that has no modules and only
a Python 3 /usr/bin/virtualenv script.  We can probably get rid of the
python-virtualenv package in the long term - if we care - but in the short
term, it will hold the Python 2 version of the importable virtualenv package,
which is needed until the tox transition is completed.  Then we can decide
whether or not to drop it.

In summary, I propose the following binary packages:

python3-virtualenv:
    NEW package
    contains the Python 3 importable virtualenv module.

python-virtualenv:
    contains the Python 2 importable virtualenv module.
    (needed only until tox is transitioned to Python 3)

virtualenv:
    NEW package
    contains /usr/bin/virtualenv and the manpage
    Depends: python3-virtualenv
    Replaces: python-virtualenv (<< 1.6.1)

virtualenvwrapper, dh-virtualenv, and python-tox will have to have their
Depends updated.  I'll file bugs on the former two and fix the latter.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-Barry