Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

On Jun 4, 2014, at 4:20 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Barry (2014.06.02_22:51:24_+0200)
>>> Sounds reasonable to me, the only “downside” is that virutalenv will default
>>> to Python 3, which is probably not what most people want (however they
>>> can do virtualenv -p python2).
>>
>> But it's what most people *should* want <wink>.
>
> Won't python 3 users be using python3 -m venv?
>
> The only real advantage of virtualenv over venv is bundled pip, but
> stdlib python has that too, now…

Maybe, virtualenv has other advantages, some of which are additional tooling
written around it (virtualenvwrapper etc). It also has the benefit that it works
across multiple versions of Python, so if someone wants to create Python 2
and Python <3.4 virtual environments, they are likely to be using virtualenv
for consistency sake.

Donald Stufft