Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

On May 29, 2014, at 8:15 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:

> On May 29, 2014 7:54:53 PM EDT, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:
>> I'm looking again at updating tox to the latest upstream 1.7.1.  Along
>> the
>> way, I'd like to make /usr/bin/tox a Python 3 script.
>>
>> This requires that virtualenv be importable, e.g. `$python -m
>> virtualenv`.  It
>> is today in Python 2 since /usr/bin/virtualenv is a Python 2 script and
>> we
>> only build it for one version of Python.  I want to change that too, so
>> that
>> at least we build the virtualenv modules for both Python 2 and 3.  I'd
>> like to
>> switch /usr/bin/virtualenv to be Python 3 as well, and I'd like to
>> tackle the
>> vendorizing issue similar to how we fixed it with ensurepip, since we
>> have all
>> the wheels we need now.
>> Thoughts?
>> -Barry
>
> I'd rather remove the wheels we have and give up on ensurepip than start down this slippery slope.
>
> Wheels are an ugly solution for us to work around upstream doing things that can most charitably be described as fixing problems we don't have.  No more.
>
> Scott K

Eh, it’s not true that users of Debian do not have the problems that ensurepip
solves. Perhaps *you* don’t personally have them but anyone whose ever needed
to install a set of Python packages that Debian either doesn’t package, or
packages the wrong version of them have the problems that virtualenv/venv
solves and virtualenv/venv without pip is practically worthless.

Donald Stufft