Re: Proposed changes to python-virtualenv

On May 29, 2014 7:54:53 PM EDT, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:
>I'm looking again at updating tox to the latest upstream 1.7.1.  Along
>the
>way, I'd like to make /usr/bin/tox a Python 3 script.
>
>This requires that virtualenv be importable, e.g. `$python -m
>virtualenv`.  It
>is today in Python 2 since /usr/bin/virtualenv is a Python 2 script and
>we
>only build it for one version of Python.  I want to change that too, so
>that
>at least we build the virtualenv modules for both Python 2 and 3.  I'd
>like to
>switch /usr/bin/virtualenv to be Python 3 as well, and I'd like to
>tackle the
>vendorizing issue similar to how we fixed it with ensurepip, since we
>have all
>the wheels we need now.
>Thoughts?
>-Barry

I'd rather remove the wheels we have and give up on ensurepip than start down this slippery slope.

Wheels are an ugly solution for us to work around upstream doing things that can most charitably be described as fixing problems we don't have.  No more.

Scott K