Re: Preventing network access during nose doctest ?

On May 12, 2014, at 02:57 PM, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:

>Here, you're setting an empty http_proxy variable, which means "don't use a
>proxy". What you really want is to set the proxy to something that errors out,
>e.g. http://127.0.0.1:9/ (the discard port on localhost).
>
>And then, you'll need to disable the tests that need internet access, or
>modify them so that they stop needing it.

Note that some test suites do legitimate http/https access during their
tests.  By "legitimate" I mean, they set up their own localhost special-port
service and vend files out of them.  You could call these integration tests,
but still, test suites do this and setting the proxies to the discard port
will break them.

I agree that *external* access must be blocked, but cases such as the above
must also be allowed.  Unfortunately I don't know of a better way then
unsetting the proxy envars for the test suite.

-Barry