Re: Bug #732703 and fixing ensurepip/pyvenv

On May 07, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>pip is a specical case here, because we want to mimic the wheel packages which
>come with python upstream. these can't be shipped in the debian python source
>package, but they are needed to make the pyvenv command work.  so we have to
>construct these out of the debian supplied packages, and best in a form that
>these cannot be broken by updates in the venv, i.e. re-vendorized.

Donald in IRC confirmed that only the pip and setuptools wheels inside of
ensurepip need to have the dist-info directories.  I think the easiest way to
create those are by creating their wheels at python-pip and python-setuptools
package build times.  The stuff vendorized inside there don't have to have the
dist-info directories, so perhaps they don't need to be wheeled at all, but
they *do* have to be vendorized because of technicalities in the way pip works
within a virtual environment.  I just thought that wheeling those vendorized
libraries were a clever and easy way to make that vendorizing work, but maybe
it's unnecessary.

I'm definitely not suggesting that every Python library in the archive also
grow -wheel packages!

-Barry