Re: Bug #732703 and fixing ensurepip/pyvenv

[Barry Warsaw, 2014-05-07]
> Generating the wheels during package build is pretty easy I think.  You just
> B-D on python*-wheel (which just got approved from NEW) and then if the
> package uses setuptools, you just add something like:
>
>     python3 setup.py bdist_wheel -d \
>         debian/python-foo-wheels/usr/share/python-wheels
>     dh_installdirs -ppython-foo-wheels usr/share
>
> after you've added the python-foo-wheels binary package.  (Exact package
> names, directory paths, etc. TBD, but these are what I've picked for my
> experiments.)

this will double the size of python{,3}-* packages in our archive and
force us to update thousands of source packages.

What do wheels have that our binary packages do not have? Aren't they
just a zipped .py files? I'm probably missing something, but why can't
we zip `dpkg -L python-foo | grep /dist-packages`'s output at runtime
(when someone python3 -m ensirepips something)?