Re: InVesalius - arch-dependent-file-in-usr-share

Hi Andrey,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 03:05:25PM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of developer of InVesalius [1], an open source medical software.
> InVesalius is already packaged to Debian thanks to Debian med. Now I'm
> updating the package [2] to the last release of InVesalius.
>
> Until the penultimate version, InVesalius was developed exclusively in
> Python and all its source files in the Debian package were kept inside the
> /usr/share/invesalius folder. In the last version we started to use Cython
> in one of the modules we developed, so now we have a compiled file. In the
> part of the package I break the InVesalius in two parts:
>
> * invesalius -> where are kept the python files (arch-independent)
> * invesaliu-bin -> where this cython compiled file is kept
What's the reason for splitting?

Nothing special, I just thought it was better. If you think it's better to keep booth together, I join them.

> All files from both packages are kept inside /usr/share/invesalius. But, as
> indicated by the lintian warning, /usr/share is reserved for
> architecture-independent files. So invesalius-bin isn't following the rule.
> I'm thinking to create a patch to update the setup.py to make it installs
> the compiled file inside the Python dist-packages folder and create other
> package to patch InVesalius to make it imports this module from the system
> dist-packages. But I don't know if it's the better strategy to fix this
> problem or if there are better ways of doing this. What do you suggest me?
If only the app imports the modules just put them into
/usr/lib/invesalius, no need to publish them to dist-packages.

Great idea! Since I use a shell script to calls my application, I'll have to set the $PYTHONPATH ambient variable inside this script pointing to /usr/lib/invesalius, isn't it?

--
WBR, wRAR