Re: HELP: something other than dh_python2 fails to install files if an additional binary package is added

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 09:48:43AM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>> [Andreas Tille, 2014-02-11]
>> > directory.  I can reproduce this behavious by simply deleting the
>> > python-pysam-tests paragraph in debian/control.
>>
>> this part is very important
>
> Obviously.
>
>> > It seems that there is some problem in dh_python (or a related tool
>>
>> argh! dh_python2 doesn't install files :-P
>
> So what exactly *stopped* installing files since a new binary package
> was added?

Normally, when you produce a single binary package, the things get
installed into debian/$package_name. If you create a second binary
package by creating a new paragraph in debian/control and doing
nothing else, the files are installed into debian/tmp. So you then
need to move the files that you want to end up in each package to the
corresponding directories.

>From `man dh_install`:

> maybe you have a large package that builds multiple binary packages. You can
> use the upstream Makefile to install it all into debian/tmp, and then use dh_install
> to copy directories and files from there into the proper package build directories.

What it means by "the proper package build directories" is that by the
end of the build process, everything that will be in the resulting
foo.deb will be found in debian/foo. The files that will end up in
foo-data.deb will be found in debian/foo-data.

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Developer <http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=asb>
   PGP/GPG Key ID: D53FDCB1