Re: Help with packaging of python executable and its modules

On 02/07/2014 02:41 PM, Julian Taylor wrote:

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi folks,

I have commited some packaging for a bioinformatics package arden to

   git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/arden.git

Since it expects to find its modules under the pretty generic name
"core" I decided to move the modules under

   /usr/share/pyshared/arden/core

and tried to patch the executable scripts to say something like

I assume this is a python application and not a library?

don't install into pyshared, its an implementational detail that might eventually go away as its technically not needed anymore since we only have one python2 version left.

python applications usually get installed into /usr/lib/package-name/ as upstream intended
then you just patch the entry points to add that path to their search path:

sys.path.insert(0, 'module-path')

just for completeness, your approach does not work as you are missing a __init__.py in the folder
Part of my patch  ;-)

--
Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438