Re: Multiple copies of timeoutsocket.py in Debian packages

* Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu>, 2014-01-28, 16:39:
A quick search on http://codesearch.debian.net reports many hits for the timeoutsocket.py library.

I think it would be better to have a distinct package, then (hence a RFP: #736935).

However I don't have a clue whether this is really used by these packages, if multiple versions co-exist, etc. I haven't played with sockets in Python yet.

I'm tempted to think that it may even no longer be needed at all, judging from http://bugs.python.org/issue555085 if the feature was added to Python's standard library.

Yeah, timeoutsocket.py looks like something that should have died a decade ago. In Python ≥ 2.3 you can set default timeout or a per-socket timeout without help of this library.

planet-venus, python-feedvalidator and rawdog already use the proper Python interfaces, and only fall back to timeoutsocket when they are not available:
http://sources.debian.net/src/python-feedvalidator/0~svn1022-2/feedvalidator/__init__.py#L8
http://sources.debian.net/src/planet-venus/0~git9de2109-1/planet/spider.py#L378
http://sources.debian.net/src/rawdog/2.13.dfsg.1-1/rawdoglib/feedparser.py#L103

plucker and spikeproxy would have to be ported to the “new” API.

--
Jakub Wilk