Re: How to split off main executable from python3-foo to foo

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
Cześć,

Cześć

[Zygmunt Krynicki, 2013-11-25]
> I'm writing to to you as the upstream for pybuild.
>
> I'm trying to use pybuild to split a simple upstream python3-only project
> into a number of smaller packages. I'm having problems trying to force the
> main executable to move away from the python3-foo library package into the
> foo "main" package. Is there any simple way of doing that?

if it's only about executables: consider not splitting it into smaller
packages at all (unless these packages will pull additional dependencies).

Currently it is about being discoverable. We care about our users being able to simply 'sudo apt-get install plainbox' to get the basic development tool installed. Since plainbox is also a library for other projects we wanted to have python3-plainbox as a dependency. It is likely that we will eventually move some of the development tools away from the package but even then it is unclear if that would affect dependencies in any way.

If that's not an option, you can simply `mv debian/python3-foo/usr/bin/foo
debian/foo/usr/bin` in debian/rules or use debian/foo.install
files instead of PYBUILD_NAME/PYBUILD_DESTDIR.

If it's about moving files to private directory, use¹ distutils'
--install-scripts=/usr/share/doo --install-dir=/usr/share/foo and add
(f.e. via debian/foo.links) /usr/bin/foo → /usr/share/foo/script symlink.

Thanks!

If I didn't guess right, you have to be more specific, or point us to
your initial work.

This is for my initial plainbox package. In this particular case I have to ship /usr/bin/plainbox-trusted-launcher-1 in python3-plainbox but really want to have /usr/bin/plainbox in the plainbox package for the reasons stated above.

Best regards
ZK