Re: Recommending get-orig-source for packages ?

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Stuart Prescott wrote:

> tl;dr: is get-orig-source supposed to be a duplicate of uscan (d/watch) or
> apt-get source?

Neither. As policy attempts to explain, get-orig-source is for the
cases where the Debian orig tarball is not bit-for-bit identical to
the upstream tarball. If you have a debian/watch file, get-orig-source
is pointless. A get-orig-source target is only useful for documenting
(and automating) how to convert upstream sources (in
git/hg/tarballs/whatever) into Debian orig tarballs. uscan will never
be flexible enough to deal with every upstream so I think the right
ways forward are:

Add support for more sites to [1].

uscan to grow features for removing files from upstream tarballs, in a
declarative way preferably.

The default dh get-orig-source to invoke uscan if debian/watch is available.

Policy to define get-orig-source more clearly.

Re version numbers, I can see use-cases for both getting the current
as from debian/changelog and the latest available. So a standard way
to pass a version, which could be 'current' or 'latest' or another
version would be the right thing to do.

Personally I also feel that debian/watch and get-orig-source need to
be maintained outside the packaging, probably somewhere like the new
PTS (tracker.d.o) once that is up, running and has more contributors.

1. http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/qa/trunk/cgi-bin/fakeupstream.cgi?view=markup

--
bye,
pabs