How to run upstream test suite that uses ‘tox’?

Howdy all,

I'm trying to run the test suite of a packagfe I'm maintaining. Upstream
only supports running the test suite using ‘tox’:

    $ tox -e py27,py33

But this fails in a Debian build environment because ‘tox’ expects to
install packages from PyPI, and ignores already-installed OS packages.

With ‘python-nose’ and ‘python-mock’ both installed, ‘tox -e py27’ still
attempts to install ‘nose’ and ‘mock’ from the internet (and fails
because I've disabled internet access in the build environment).

How can I convince ‘tox’ to use the OS-installed packages?

Alternatively, I don't really care about the special features of ‘tox’;
I only want to run the test suite with the specific PYthon version. What
can I do in the build environment to run the test suite as ‘tox’ would
run it?

--
 \        “Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be |
  `\              over here, looking through your stuff.” —Jack Handey |