Re: Simplified library style guide based on pybuild

Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> writes:

> Based on that, I've done a pass through the library style guide, which
> I was able to greatly simplify.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

Thanks for that, Barry!

> Please take a look, edit as necessary or follow up here for more
> discussion.

The following “assumption about the Python package you are working on”
survives from the historical version:

  * Your Debian packaging uses debhelper, dh_python2, and is preferably
    source format 3.0 (quilt).

While that's technically accurate – the guide assumes that's the case
*before* you follow its advice – a casual reader might get the
impression that this is a guide which still recommends using
‘dh_python2’ directly.

Maybe clarify that by saying the guide assumes that the package
“currently uses debhelper, dh_python2, and is …”.

--
 \         “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the |
  `\                                   value of nothing.” —Oscar Wilde |