Re: Python-babel 1.3 available from Sid

On 2013-10-08 12:52:35, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/08/2013 03:34 AM, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On 2013-10-08 00:50:27, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> FYI, I have uploaded python-babel 1.3 in Sid. I couldn't wait for more,
> >> so I did the work...
> >>
> >> I haven't pushed to the SVN, because git-svn is producing some weird
> >> errors. Andrey, could you push the changes?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Thomas
> >
> > How about you clean up the mess you've created?
> >
> > Andrey clearly stated in the bug that he's working on it
>
> He wrote that on Wed, 28th of Aug 2013. That's a long time ago, and as I
> couldn't wait for more, as some or my packages for OpenStack
> (build-)depends on Babel 1.3.

For a package that had to go through NEW anyway that's really no excuse.
Pinging him and waiting a day or two for a reply doesn't hurt.

> > and changed the topic of #debian-python to look for a sponsor.
>
> I'm sorry that I missed it, and that I got fooled by the wrong VCS
> fields in the old package. Though probably writing in this bug would
> have been more efficient than writing in the topic of the IRC channel?

That's what we tell non-DDs to do. [1] says:

 Sponsorship requests can be sent on the main discussion list or on
 #debian-python IRC channel (OFTC network).

[1] http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-modules-policy.html

> > So you could have at
> > least asked Andrey what's the status of the packaging and helped him
> > upload the changes he has prepared in the repository.
> >
> > I find this behavior very inappropriate.
>
> You want to talk about behaviors and include the -python list to add
> some fun? Let's do that if you think that helps (I think it's a huge
> waste of time). wRAR/Andrey's behavior is bordeline with me on IRC all
> the time, and it starts to be quite annoying. I'd like this type of
> harassment to to stop right away: it's not fun to read at all.

If I wanted to have fun I'd laugh about it somewhere private and go on.
But this is an team issue as our DDs appearently don't know where
non-DDs are supposed to look for a sponsor. But what's even worse is
that instead of sorting out personal issues with a team member, his work
is thrown away.

> > Apart from that your changes in debian/copyright are wrong.
>
> Would you care explain what is wrong there?

Copyright 2007-2013 Edgewall Software is wrong. AUTHORS and LICENSE
should give you a hint what's actually true.

> > debian/changelog is inaccurate (python-pybabel is still there).
>
> Yes right, because I saw that there was still some reverse dependencies
> and reverted my change, then forgot to also revert the changelog. I have
> filled bugs against packages that still depends on pybabel and I think
> it's best to wait until they are fixed.
>
> > There is no ${python:Recommends}.
>
> What do you mean there's no ${python:Recommends}?

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Recommends field of package python-babel: unknown substitution variable ${python:Recommends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Recommends field of package python3-babel: unknown substitution variable ${python3:Recommends}

> > Why does python-babel-doc depend on
> > python3-pkg-resources and why is ${sphinxdoc:Depends} missing?
>
> This is a bad copy/past which should be fixed. Not a huge deal to fix
> though (the bulk of the work in the other parts of the package was the
> most important bit of what was urgently needed).

That's no excuse to upload an unfinished package.

Regards
--
Sebastian Ramacher