Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 05:16:22PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Over at the ‘python-dev’ forum, PEP 453 is being discussed. This affects
> Debian packaging of Python, and packages written for Python.
>
> See the discussion thread and take the opportunity to represent Debian
> <URL:https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-September/128723.html>
> while this major change to the behaviour of Python packaging is still
> being specified.
>
> Note that we don't need a dog-pile; someone with both knowledge and time
> to discuss this will find that reasoned arguments work better there. Who
> can do this?

I butted in, since I was on python-dev anyway.

http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/6c1b658bc16c

is the changeset they made after I mentioned it was highly unlikely that
it would be included. Basically, this means so long as command-not-found
is installed, we're fine.

I think this is a fine middleground and shouldn't be much if a problem.
Donald pung me after, and he's open to working with us.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>