Re: Please install /usr/bin/python2

What's not included in "some newer releases" here? /usr/bin/python2 has been present on all systems I've used except Debian.

- Kerrick

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:

Kerrick Staley <kerrick@kerrickstaley.com> wrote:
>Thanks!
>
>The upstream recommendation (from PEP 394 [1]) is that, going forward,
>portable scripts *can't* assume python is python2, and *should* use
>python2.
>
>- Kerrick
>
>[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

I'm very familiar with it.

Now we get to Arch is insane.

They've put developers in a difficult spot.  They have to choose between /usr/bin/python2 and works on Arch and some newer releases and /usr/bin/python and works everywhere except Arch.

The only suggestion I can make is that it's generally not that hard for new code to make it work for both python2.7 and python3.3.  Then there's no need to care.

Scott K