Re: dh-python in unstable

On Aug 02, 2013, at 05:42 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>[Barry Warsaw, 2013-08-02]
>> On Aug 02, 2013, at 03:15 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>> >	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2=debian/python-foo/
>> >	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2-dbg=debian/python-foo-dbg/
>> >	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3=debian/python3-foo/
>> >	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3-dbg=debian/python3-foo-dbg/
>> >	export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_pypy=debian/pypy-foo/
>>
>> I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to calculate default values for all of
>> these.  E.g. if you had:
>>
>> export PYBUILD_NAME=foo
>>
>> I think the rest could be pretty much figured out, at least for the common
>> cases.  Is that worth it?
>
>good idea, I'll add --name and PYBUILD_NAME

I'm wondering if this is (supposed to be) working yet (in
dh-python 1.20130819-1)?

If you look at my nose2 package in svn, I tried to do this:

    export PYBUILD_NAME=nose2

but it didn't seem to calculate the other variables automatically, and the
build did not put things in the right place.  By adding these:

    export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python2=debian/python-nose2
    export PYBUILD_DESTDIR_python3=debian/python3-nose2

everything worked wonderfully.

All in all though, pybuild is really fantastic.  It will greatly simplify
building Python 2 and 3 versions of most common packages.  Great work!

I've filed a few bugs, and don't have time to contribute to pybuild right now,
but I'll try to find some time to smooth out a few of the rough edges, test
the tox support, and update the documentation and wiki pages.

Cheers,
-Barry