Re: [User Question] python2.7 uninstallable while upgrade to Wheezy

Hi,

I don't know what investigation you've already done, so this may not be helpful. However, since the error complains about packages shipping files in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages, I would look to see what files are in that directory, and use `dpkg -S /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/<file you found in that directory>` to find out what package provides them. If there are no files, maybe delete the directory or change it to a symlink to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages as described in the error message?

Ben

Hello all,

I am actually trying to upgrade a Debian Squeeze 6.0 Xen Dom0 to a Debian Wheezy 7.0 Xen Dom0. The upgrade worked well until the installation of python2.7. I think there is a bigger problem in the packages.

I am getting the following apt/aptitude error:

aptitude install -f
  python2.7-minimal
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  python2.7
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,783 kB of archives. After unpacking 5,591 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
(Reading database ... 78072 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking python2.7-minimal (from .../python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6_amd64.deb) ...
new installation of python2.7-minimal; /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages is a directory
which is expected a symlink to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages.
please find the package shipping files in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages and
file a bug report to ship these in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages instead
aborting installation of python2.7-minimal
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-minimal_2.7.3-6_amd64.deb
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

So I tried to figure out which package could make problems but I wasn't able to find one. My version of Xen is self compiled 4.2.1, I also running a self compiled Linux kernel actually version 3.8. I am actually not able to install all packages which need to be upgraded because of the python issue. Is there a way to figure out which packages could be the reason for the problems or can I workaround this issue? I tried a few different things like completely purge python and so on but nothing helped.

My sources.list looks like this:

#deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
#deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib

#deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib
#deb-src http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib

Would be great when someone could help me.

Best Regards

P.S. Sorry for my bed english.