Re: Packaging applications with extensions modules

* Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>, 2013-02-22, 17:56:
* you can ship extensions for more than one 3.x version in the same private directory, thanks to tags
Does dh_python3 support such setup? (I would be very surprised if it did.)

I gave it a try, and it appears to work, provided that upstream build system supports ABI tagging. Wow. :-)

dh_python3 does rewrite extension names with the tags. As an example, python-qt4 uses this.

If you install multiple non-tagged extensions to a private directory, they'll have overwritten each other before dh_python3 will have a chance to rename them.

We'll have this problem also for build systems which install stuff to /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/, but don't support PEP3149...

--
Jakub Wilk