Re: How does team maintenace of python module works?

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 01:52:59 PM Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> (Re-posted back on list. Sorry ScottK.)
>
> On 21/02/2013 12:37, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > With git (I've never used gpb, and maybe that's my problem) I end up
> > having to do things like:
> >
> > git clone git://git.debian.org/….git
> > for branch in pristine-tar debian/unstable ; do git branch --track $branch
> > origin/$branch ; done
> >
> > That's the sort of thing that convinces me it's too hard.  The fact that I
> > have to manually make the association between individual local and remove
> > branches is just insane.
>
> That's what gbp-clone does for you -- it clones, and creates
> master/pristine-tar/upstream. pristine-tar is the most important, because if
> this branch isn't present then git-buildpackage silently builds a brand new
> tarball for you.
>
> Aside from that, git (as of 1.7.10.4, not sure when it was introduced) also
> automatically does that set up for you when you git checkout $branch where
> $branch doesn't exist but origin/$branch does.

That's progress.  Of course you still need to know to do git branch -r to see
what the remote branches are named since git branch still won't know about
them.  Maybe in another decade it'll be half way usable for people whose life
doesn't revolve around git.

Scott K