Re: Request to Join Project Python Modules Packaging Team from Ben Carrillo (kali-guest)

* Ben Carrillo <ben@futeisha.org>, 2013-01-29, 20:02:
[1] https://mentors.debian.net/package/python-srp

Now I had a look at this one, too.

Implementation of the _ctsrp module is flawed: you must not load a shared library via the .so symlink. The symlink is supposed to be used at build-time one. As far I can see, this module is used only as a fallback, so for Debian a quick solution to this problem would be removing the module from the binary package.

You need versioned build-dependency on "dpkg-dev (>= 1.16.1)" if you want to use DEB_*_MAINT_* variables.

The extension modules should be linked with libcrypto, not libssl. All the symbols it uses are from the former, not the latter, as far as I can tell.

Lintian emits:
P: python-srp source: unversioned-copyright-format-uri http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5
I: python-srp: possible-documentation-but-no-doc-base-registration

Short license names in DEP-5 copyright file cannot contain spaces; so "New BSD" is incorrect.

You probably want to indent the itemized list in d/copyright by one space; see Debian Policy §5.6.13 (the same formating rules apply to both Description in debian/control and license text in DEP-5 copyright files).

You might want to provide a -dbg package. Such package should contain extensions modules for the python2.X-dbg interpreter, and detached debugging symbols for the "normal" extensions.

All in all, it doesn't look very bad, so I've just added you to the team. Feel free to inject your packages to the team's repository.

--
Jakub Wilk