Re: python-xlrd

On 06/02/13 16:12, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> Of course, it's good to exercise due diligence, but the flip
> side is that technical changes which I hope would be uncontroversial
> have now taken a back seat to bureaucracy, because one man a few years
> ago declared himself 'the maintainer'.

If the request for a new version has been open for 2 years, waiting
another couple of months to confirm that the maintainer doesn't object
isn't really going to make much difference - particularly if that's 2
months of release-freeze time.

Debian is currently in a freeze, so any uploads you make now are not
going to reach the next release anyway, unless they meet the freeze
policy <http://release.debian.org/wheezy/freeze_policy.html>.

If you have changes that *do* meet the freeze policy (roughly:
non-invasive fixes for bugs with severity >= important, with a small
enough diffstat for the release team to be able to review it sensibly),
they can be made via a NMU or a team upload.

If you have changes that *don't* meet the freeze policy, I would suggest
that now is not the time: they won't migrate from unstable to testing
anyway, and if important bugs are subsequently reported in python-xlrd,
having a newer version in unstable will make it more difficult to get
those bugs fixed in testing.

New upstream versions are not usually eligible for freeze exceptions
(unless they're targeted, bugfix-only releases from an upstream with a
relatively strict stable-branch policy).

Major packaging changes, like moving from dpatch to 3.0 (quilt) (or cdbs
to dh, or anything similar) are specifically mentioned in the freeze
policy as something that is not eligible.