Re: pybuild - one to rule^W build them all

[Yaroslav Halchenko, 2013-01-20]
> 1. -lib packages to ship extensions in separate packages to reduce
>    impact on archives

sounds good, I'll implement --ext-destdir / PYBUILD_EXT_DESTDIR and move
all *.so files there after install command

> 2. unit-testing against built/installed modules (if some env variable
>    provides the command to be invoked)

it already invokes `pythonX.Y setup.py test` (if "test_suite" string is
detected in setup.py, distutils plugin only) or `pythonX.Y -m unittest
discover -v` in all other cases, you also can:

override_dh_auto_test:
	pybuild --test --system=custom --test-args 'cd {build_dir}; your command'

> 3. building/installing sphinx-based documentation + replacing all the
>    java script libraries with symlinks to sytemwide once from the
>    packages

add sphinxdoc to dh's --with and dh_sphinxdoc will replace these
libraries for you. About building, just use:

build-indep:
	dh build-indep
	sphinx-build -N -q -E -b html . debian/python-foo-doc/usr/share/doc/python-foo-doc/

that's simple enough, IMO. If not, ask Jakub to provide dh_build_sphinx
in python-sphinx package. I don't think pybuild should deal with docs.

> wouldn't it make more sense to ship it in a separate package since it is
> relevant not only for python3?  then it would also make possible to
> provide backport packages

yes, it makes sense. We already talked about it on IRC (to move
pybuild, py{3}{clean,compile}, dh_python{2,3} and debpython to a new
source package and make it work also with pypy).