Re: PyCon 2013 -- tentative title/abstract/outline -- feedback plz - v.2

Thanks Piotr!

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> [Yaroslav Halchenko, 2012-09-28]
> > In this talk I would like to briefly present the history of Python in
> > Debian (which can be traced to nineties with Python 1.4), outline
> > benefits Debian provides for Python users/developers and present what
> > to expect in upcoming stable (wheezy) release of Debian.  To
> > familiarize listeners with Python-in-Debian ecosystem I will then
> > overview core package naming, versioning, and modularization
> > conventions in Debian and ongoing QA efforts (build-time testing,

> about conventions... please, please, please mention

with pleasure ... but do you think it is worth listing (some of) them in
the abstract?

> PEP386

this one is my favorite (giving significant amount of suffer ;) )

> PEP396,

Barry, was there any progress?

it would be cool if it was somewhat coupled with recipes for different
VCS.  I know a few projects which go few extra steps to automate unique
version assignments for the GIT archive exports etc. e.g.
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-exppsy/pynifti.git;a=blob;f=setup.py;hb=HEAD

> PEP390

seems needs to make friends with PEP396 regarding version information

dependencies specs are indeed would be valuable

> PEP384?

I guess I need to digest it more to explain how/if it is relevant for
Debian maintenance.

> PEP8?

I could start with this one of cause ;) but I hope they all know about
it by now.  On a related note though:  __file__ -- are we all friends
again ? ;)

> or documents like http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

it would of cause be worthwhile of at least mentioning

> - maybe it's not directly related to your talk, but any occasion
> is good to try to convince developers to follow conventions.

that is part of the aim indeed ;)

> > full-archive rebuilds, etc). I will briefly present the "Debian
> > packaging" helper tools, including recent GSOC project aiming to
> > provide automatic packaging of the packages on PyPI.  To facilitate

> even today Natalia committed some changes related to exporting build/test
> logs, statistics will follow soon, I hope :). We still need a server to
> set this up, though - I'll try to arrange a webserver to host generated
> repo/logs, but we still need access to a buildd (or a server where we
> can set one up) to do the building part - Natalia's tool is prepared to
> be invoked in cron and build (using f.e. sbuild) only new packages / for
> new architectures or new distributions).

yeah -- without such at least a demo repository project felt
somewhat incomplete to me.

> > As the outcome of the talk, I expect listeners to become more familiar
> > with the Debian project goals, standards and principles, become aware
> > of integration aspects involved in delivering such plethora of Python
> > FOSS solutions, and become intrigued enough to try Debian on their
> > systems or in the cloud.

> you can also advertise https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php
> (for those who want to see build logs from different architectures
> of their libraries - we try to enable more and more tests during build)

right!

I also had in mind pointing to http://packages.qa.debian.org as the
ultimate 'developer-oriented' page, where upstream could get to the
logs, subscribe to notifications (email, RSS), etc

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences