Re: Availability of Numpy, WX, Matplotlib and Scipy under Python3

Re: Availability of Numpy, WX, Matplotlib and Scipy under Python3

Thanks to Thomas Kluyver and Dmitrijs Ledkovs.

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 21:27 +0100, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> Python 3 versions of numpy and scipy are already in wheezy. wx and
> matplotlib haven't yet released Python 3 compatible versions, and
> Wheezy is frozen now, so they've missed that boat. If you need to use
> those packages for a substantial application in the near future,
> sticking with Python 2 for now is your safest bet. If you use Python
> 2.6 or 2.7 with modern idioms, it should be relatively easy to port
> code later when all the libraries are ready.

Given the issue with (especially) WX, I think I will stick with Python
2.7 for the time being.

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 01:07 +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
You may want to request a backport from folks who do those, and maybe
> (dependencies permitting) they can make a python3 backport of scipy /
> numpy for current stable release squeeze.

I'll consider that if and when I find any differences between Python 2.7
and 3.* that become pressing issues for me.  Otherwise, I suspect that
any request for a backport from me will only distract from more useful
work for a wider range of users.

--

It is a pity that (particulaly) wxPython has missed the Wheezy revision
window.  When I looked at the various GUIs available in Python, I

Thanks again for the quick and useful responses.

Best regards
--
Nigel Sedgwick, Cambridge Algorithmica Ltd