Re: Availability of Numpy, WX, Matplotlib and Scipy under Python3

Hi Nigel,

On 3 September 2012 14:57, Nigel Sedgwick <ncs@camalg.co.uk> wrote:
> The application makes heavy use of numpy and wx and will soon make heavy
> use of scipy, matplotlib and various other python libraries that are
> widely used.

Python 3 versions of numpy and scipy are already in wheezy. wx and
matplotlib haven't yet released Python 3 compatible versions, and
Wheezy is frozen now, so they've missed that boat. If you need to use
those packages for a substantial application in the near future,
sticking with Python 2 for now is your safest bet. If you use Python
2.6 or 2.7 with modern idioms, it should be relatively easy to port
code later when all the libraries are ready.

As far as I understand Debian, none of those python3- packages will be
added to Squeeze. The idea of a stable release is that the only
updates it gets are bugfixes and security.

Looking further ahead: matplotlib is aiming to release a Python 3
version in October. wxPython has a development version working on
Python 3, but I don't see any indication of how soon a release is
planned. Other GUI toolkits (Qt, GTK) already support Python 3, if
they are an option for you.

Best wishes,
Thomas