Re: Numpy & dh_python2

preceeding comment kinda describes it all:

    # GIGANTIC HACK - add back libnpymath.a
    # get the file names, generate the new location, create the dir if missing, copy
    # the file and then add it to the public list

so it just adds those few trailing lines with libnpymath.a .  I am really not
an expert in dh_pysupport but .public files seems to serve per-package registry
of supported Python versions and public modules and extensions so pysupport
would know what to compile/symlink in its
/usr/sbin/update-python-modules.

So, my blunt guess would be that with dh_python2 you would not need this
and just would need to place the .a appropriately.