Re: Is virtualenv --setuptools still useful?

Hi Barry (2012.11.13_01:04:59_+0200)
> I am upgrading Ubuntu 13.04's python-virtualenv package to 1.8.2.  This could
> provide a basis for upgrading the Debian version in Wheezy+1.

As usual, I'd say: You're a member of DPMT, which is the primary
maintainer of this package, so please feel free to commit everything you
do to the package's repository. I'll happily upload it to experimental.

> What I'm very tempted to drop is the addition of the --setuptools option for
> Python 2 (and the $VIRTUALENV_{USE_,}SETUPTOOLS envar).  As mentioned, this
> would be ignored for Python 3, but also really, who uses setuptools anymore?
> :)

I've found it useful when debugging errors that OSX users in my company
report to me. That said, I have an upstream git checkout on my machine,
so it's not *that* much more effort to just use that instead.

It'd be nice if we can get the upstream to make distribute the default.
I see https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/issues/217 but it's fairly
dead...

So, I am affected by this, but don't mind too much if you do it.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/