Is virtualenv --setuptools still useful?

I am upgrading Ubuntu 13.04's python-virtualenv package to 1.8.2.  This could
provide a basis for upgrading the Debian version in Wheezy+1.

I'd like to modify the add_distribute.patch.  What this currently does is set
virtualenv to use distribute by default.  This is fine, and I want to keep
this change.  In fact, this only affects Python 2 venvs since distribute is
the only choice for Python 3 anyway.

What I'm very tempted to drop is the addition of the --setuptools option for
Python 2 (and the $VIRTUALENV_{USE_,}SETUPTOOLS envar).  As mentioned, this
would be ignored for Python 3, but also really, who uses setuptools anymore?
:)

I don't think this would affect any Debian/Ubuntu packages, since we've long
used distribute as an alias for setuptools, so all of our packages already use
distribute.  I suppose it could break 3rd party developers, but if they're
developing on Debian, using the packaged version of virtualenv, *and* still
want to use setuptools, they're going to have to do something special anyway
(set an envar, pass in a cli switch).  Is it really that much of a hardship to
just require them to install or use upstream virtualenv from source in those
cases?  Can't we put a stake in the heart of setuptools already?

So my proposal is to adjust the patch so that it uses distribute only for both
Python 2 and 3 on Debian.

Comments?
-Barry