Re: Bug 664759: python-tox request for review/sponsorship

On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:55 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>(I don't intend to sponsor this, sorry.)

No problem, thanks for the review.

>* Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org>, 2012-11-09, 20:27:
>>http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/python-apps/packages/tox/trunk/
>
>I see some warnings in the build log:

>| WARNING: intersphinx inventory 'http://docs.python.org/objects.inv' not fetchable due to <class 'urllib2.URLError'>: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>

Interesting.  I didn't see the warning because I don't get it in my sbuild
environment, but I do see the "loading..." message.  I understand why this
would be a no-no for the build process, and this has come up before:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2011/07/msg00016.html

I adapted the referenced patch and added the B-D.  It's now using the local
copy of objects.inv.

>| /build/tox-W107m9/tox-1.4.2/doc/index.txt:90: WARNING: toctree contains
>| reference to nonexisting document u'config-v1'

Upstream bug, reported here:

https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox/issue/57/doc-indextxt-refers-to-non-existent

quilt patch added.

>Furthermore, the package FTBFS if built twice in a row:
>
>| dpkg-source: error: unwanted binary file: debian/manpage/_build/doctrees/environment.pickle
>| dpkg-source: error: unwanted binary file: debian/manpage/_build/doctrees/tox-man.doctree
>| dpkg-source: error: detected 2 unwanted binary files (add them in debian/source/include-binaries to allow their inclusion).
>| dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b tox-1.4.2 gave error exit status 29

I *think* I've fixed this now.

>lintian emits:
>
>I: tox source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field "priority" in package python-tox
>P: python-tox: no-homepage-field
>I: python-tox: possible-documentation-but-no-doc-base-registration

These should be fixed now.

>lintian4python emits:
>
>x: tox source: missing-vcs-field vcs-svn svn://svn.debian.org/python-apps/packages/tox/trunk/
>x: tox source: missing-vcs-field vcs-browser
>http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/python-apps/packages/tox/trunk/

Fixed.

>p: python-tox: SOURCES.txt-in-binary-package

Fixed, but we really need better rationale for this in the wiki. ;)

>e: python-tox: missing-dependency-for-import pkg_resources (usr/bin/tox) =>
>python-pkg-resources

Fixed.

>(+ some boring pyflakes-* tags)

Yeah, the one remaining one is a false positive.

>I think section should be "python" not "misc"; priority should be optional.
>
>Current standards version is 3.9.4.
>
>Shouldn't you add yourself to d/copyright?

All fixed.

>The LICENSE file reads:
>| The execnet package is released under the provisions of the Gnu Public
>| License (GPL), version 2 or later.
>
>Shouldn't it be s/execnet/tox/ and s/Gnu/GNU General/?

I've reported these upstream:

https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox/issue/58/typos-in-license-file

>Licenses of toxbootstrap.py and tox/_verlib.py are not documented in the
>copyright file.

Fixed.

>>P.S. I know the manpage sucks;
>
>Agreed, it does.
>
>Also, I think that adding full-blown makefile just to build a single manpage
>is overkill. You could call sphinx-build manually in debian/rules

Fair enough, fixed.

>>I'm trying to find some examples of Sphinx-generated manpages, after >which I'll improve that.
>
>Take a look at... sphinx-* manpages. Dogfooding FTW! :)

Okay!  Now the manpage sucks less. :)

Thanks for the review, and any re-review you might do.  So, anybody want to
sponsor it?

-Barry