Re: GUI tool for packaging

On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 13:19 +0000, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> In my opinion, the best way to do that is to build a GUI that holds
> the user's hand through the process of packaging, showing them the
> options available. It should be particularly useful for occasional
> packagers who don't want to remember a load of commands and options.

[... snipped ...]

> So, I'd like to know:
> - Do you think this is worth spending time on? Bear in mind it's
> primarily aimed at new & occasional packagers, not experts who already
> know the tools.
> - Is there already anything like this?
> - Would you be interested in helping to develop it?
>
> Of course, this should be useful for any packages, not just
> Python-based ones. But I thought I'd float the idea here first, to get
> some feedback before I take it any further.

I think it is an excellent idea.

There is a general problem of discovering rarely-used commands and/or
options and using them to do something one does not need to do
frequently.  Existing documentation and help information are geared
toward novices who will become experts, who make frequent use of the
software.  Such people eventually remember all the options of the
software.

What is missing is help for experts, who learned the software sometime
ago but use it rarely and therefore with time they forget the minutiae
and the details of using the software's options.

--- Omer

--
Your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins.
Your freedom of expression ends where my freedom of expression begins.

I may be affiliated in any way.