Re: Xpra to publicly expose its modules

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:21:14 Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Does it make any sense to split the source package into multiple binary
> packages?  Then the library bits would live in python-xpra (and maybe
> someday, python3-xpra <wink>) and the program part would live in xpra.

One day it could be done (perhaps when upstream introduce support for python3)
but IMHO at this time it doesn't worth it.
Executable part would then have just 3-lines wrapper script and hard
dependency on exact library version...

Also we will need

  * to think about which package config files should go.
  * to think about which package should ship arch-indep files in
    /usr/share/xpra
  * to find a sponsor for splitted package.

Considering there are some examples of application/library packages shipped by
one package I believe we can consider splitting later, if necessary.

I just recalled another example of package shipping executables and libraries:
mysql-utilities, but this may be not a good example because mysql-utilities
might need to be splitted too.

Regards,
Dmitry.