Re: packaging under SVN and branching (unstable/experimental)

* Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>, 2012-07-15, 14:44:
question: is there any agreement/policy on how to handle (branch naming convention etc) if we are to maintain multiple versions (e.g. for stable/unstable/experimental).

Me, myself and I :P all agree that branches should be named after version numbers, e.g.:

$ svn ls svn://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/python-docutils/branches/
0.5/
0.8.1/

However, using codenames (e.g. lenny, squeeze, squeeze-backports) seems to be more popular amongst people who are not me. :)

I am about to upload to experimental but later on there might be commits for previous version in unstable/wheezy -- would those changes go into a dedicated branch

Yes.

or just exercise the "branchy" nature of SVN tags and continue to work in the "tag" branch?

Ewww, no!

--
Jakub Wilk